Manually enable Appear Offline in Lync 2013 Preview via Registry

Lync 2013, just as with previous releases, allows the ability to Appear Offline. And just as with previous releases, you can enable this functionality in the Lync Client Policies. For information on how Lync Client Policies work, see my post here.  To enable Appear Offline through Client Policie against the Global Policy, use the following command:

Get-CSClientPolicy | Set-CSClientPolicy -EnableAppearOffline $true

This will require a Lync 2013 client restart.

As an Administrator, you may not want to make this change to a Client Policy as the goal of Lync is to promote collaboration, not inhibit it by having users Appear Offline and hide from other users.  At the same time, you may want to enable it for a user or two at request and won’t want to have to bother providing this small group of users their own Client Policy.  Lync 2010 provided the ability to do that via registry key.  Mike Pfeiffer provides a great article on Lync 2010 for setting the Lync 2010 registry key to manually enable Appear Offline in Lync 2010.  You can see his article here.

The goal of this article is to show how to do the same in Lync 2013.  Because Lync 2013 is now a part of Office 2013, Lync 2013 registry items are now under the Office 2013 registry section (Office 15.0).  There are two ways to set this registry:

1. Cmd.exe
  2. Regedit.exe

Using Cmd.exe

The type the following command:

Reg Add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync" /V "EnableAppearOffline" /D 1 /T REG_DWORD /F

Using Regedit.exe

1. Start regedit.exe
  2. In Registry Editor, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, expand Software, expand Policies, expand Microsoft, expand Office, expand 15.0, expand Lync
  3. Right-click the Lync registry key, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value
  4. After the new value is created, type EnableAppearOffline to rename the value.
  5. Double-click the new EnableAppearOffline registry value.
  6. After the new value is created, type EnableAppearOffline to rename the value.
  7. Double-click the new EnableAppearOffline registry value.
  8. In the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog box, type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.

Bug in Lync 2013 Preview

At the current time of this writing, the latest version of Lync 2013 is Lync 2013 Preview.  In the current Lync 2013 Preview, there is currently a bug that prevents the Appear Offline option from being displayed in the Presence drop down selection.

The workaround until this issue is fixed is that you can set Appear Offline in the taskbar by hovering over the Lync 2013 Preview icon and choosing the Appear Offline option there.

52 Responses to “Manually enable Appear Offline in Lync 2013 Preview via Registry”

1. on 24 Oct 2012 at 1:54 pmjedi

works in RTM and its awesome!

2. on 24 Oct 2012 at 2:04 pmJedi Hammond

I used your info to make it a Powershell Command as well

"Set-ItemProperty -path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync -Name "EnableAppearOffline" -Value 1"

thanks!

3. on 26 Oct 2012 at 11:28 amjah

Lync 2013 Client with OCS 2007

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftOffice15.0Lync]
    "DisableServerCheck"=dword:00000001

4. on 06 Nov 2012 at 10:43 amCorey

This has always worked for me with Lync 2010 and Windows 7, but with Lync 2013 on Windows 8 the registry setting seems to be ignored. I restarted Lync and checked the taskbar preview with no luck. Maybe not showing it in the presence dropdown was intentional and in the RTM Lync 2013 they "fixed" the taskbar preview too?

5. on 29 Nov 2012 at 12:13 amBalamurugan P

It works fine for me. Thanks for providing the information

6. on 29 Nov 2012 at 12:11 pmShanmuga

hello… i cannot find the Office expansion under "Microsoft" in Regedit… Pls help me out… I'm trying this in Windows 7 Enterprise…

7. on 05 Jan 2013 at 1:17 amTech News

This has always worked for me with Lync 2010 and Windows 7

8. on 15 Jan 2013 at 4:48 amBest4Video

This has always worked for me with Lync 2010 and Windows 7

9. on 27 Jan 2013 at 2:04 amMarius Robberts

Works like a charm! I had to add the keys for "15.0" and "Lync"

10. on 01 Feb 2013 at 8:02 pmGnanendra

"Set-ItemProperty -path HKLM:SOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftOffice15.0Lync -Name "EnableAppearOffline" -Value 1" works.

Thanks

11. on 07 Feb 2013 at 5:21 pmVijay

Command line works fine but need to add one more step (given below)

Close if any Office Tools & Start Lnyc 2013

12. on 16 Feb 2013 at 10:54 amعجائب وغرائب

you blog very good information

13. on 25 Feb 2013 at 8:51 amyashish

Under office it shows 14.0 instead of 15.0?

14. on 05 Mar 2013 at 5:51 ampeter

If you enable Appear Offline feature in Lync 2013 then your status will be displayed as online. This is a pretty good feature if you wish to stay hide from other users. It’s also possible to disable this feature later if you need it. <a href="http://www.buy-hotbuns.com” target=”_blank”>www.buy-hotbuns.com

15. on 06 Mar 2013 at 2:02 pmVKC

Jedi Hammond – Thanks Bro…

I tried many options – setting up dword key same as how it used to be for Office communicator and for Lync 2010, however nothing worked for Lync 2013

Finaly following command provided by Jedi worked for me.

Note: – Catch here is that key should be STRING and not DWORD (32 bit) if you're looking for AppearOffline option in Lync 2013 client.

You may not see key 15.0, but 14.0, so no problem, just create it manually or run above mentioned command and you're done.

16. on 07 Mar 2013 at 11:19 amSahana

Hi ..i tried the above with Windows 8 platform! I am unable to fine the option "Lync" under 15.0 ! Is the path different when it comes to Windows8??? please help..

17. on 08 Mar 2013 at 1:36 amAMI

Hello Sahana
    just looked into my registry and you are right there is not Office, Lync, 15.0 key below the Microsoft Key.
    However, I created them manually and it works.
    Try it

AMI
    PS: working with WIN8 64bit, Office 2013 32bit

18. on 08 Mar 2013 at 10:30 amSahana

yea…it did work AMI :) Thank you!

19. on 13 Mar 2013 at 1:21 pmGilbert

worked like a charm on Windows 8.

Many thanks.

20. on 12 Apr 2013 at 9:37 amRobertFreitas

Thanks Bill; now I really need to work hard to continue to make them interesting! By the way, do you have some apps that you think should be considered for review?

21. on 19 Apr 2013 at 3:54 amFree FX Programming

22. on 22 Apr 2013 at 1:45 amjustin

i tried the above with Windows 8 platform! I am unable to fine the option "Lync" under 15.0.children’s entertainment center

23. on 03 May 2013 at 2:59 amshpia

SRSG incorporated in 1997 with a vision to provide the technology of Apple Computers, the Services and Technical Support that is a match for its power and usefulness.
    System integration

24. on 03 May 2013 at 6:55 amgamespokerr 2013

A reliable informative post that you have shared and appreciate your work for sharing the information. Got some entertaining information and would like to provide it a try. Applaud your work and keep sharing your information.

25. on 03 May 2013 at 10:35 amjamesaddin

worked like a charm on Windows 8.
    v2 cigs electronic cigarette

26. on 07 May 2013 at 4:14 amalvin

This has always worked for me with Lync 2010 and Windows 7, but with Lync 2013 on Windows 8 the registry setting seems to be ignored.water coolers for offices

27. on 09 May 2013 at 2:08 amwp basic tutorial

It works fine for me. Thanks for providing the information

28. on 26 May 2013 at 2:42 pmDave

This has always worked well for me with Lync 2010 and Windows seven, but with Lync 2013 on Windows 8 the personal computer establishing seems to be ignored. I re-booted Lync and examined the taskbar review with no fortune. Maybe not displaying it in the existence dropdown was deliberate and in the RTM Lync 2013 they "fixed" the taskbar review too?
    Estudiar Ingles en miami

29. on 09 Jun 2013 at 1:38 amsunny roger

In Registry Editor, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, expand Software, expand Policies, expand Microsoft, expand Office… I can see only outlook. there is no 15.0 or lync

30. on 09 Jun 2013 at 12:09 pmElan Shudnow

If it doesn't exist, that just means that you don't have any existing policies that would have created that section in the registry. You can go ahead and create it.

31. on 10 Jun 2013 at 12:06 amSunny Roger

It works now. Thanks a lot! Just created it manually through regedit.exe using the instructions above.

32. on 10 Jun 2013 at 7:44 amElan Shudnow

You're welcome.

33. on 10 Jun 2013 at 10:36 amSunny Roger

Hi Elan, Not sure about where to ask or post this. When i moved from lync 2010 to 2013, i lost privacy where message preview is enabled in message pop up's in lync 2013. Lync 2010 had message pop up's without any message preview. Is there anyway to disable this?

34. on 20 Jun 2013 at 8:21 amNic

Hi. How do I remove the LastActive (which is available in Lync 2010 but I dunno where in Lync 2013 client) which shows how long we have been Offline or Away etc?

Kindly advice and thank you very much

35. on 30 Sep 2013 at 12:49 amGans

One line cmd with reg add as described worked. Perfect.. Thanks a ton :)

36. on 06 Oct 2013 at 10:21 pmSamuel J

It's working perfect, thank you :)

37. on 24 Oct 2013 at 11:58 amMasthan

It working like a charm. .I am able to see appearoffline in status too ..I have used command line to execute it
    Cheers
    Masthan

38. on 05 Dec 2013 at 2:30 pmEric Knight

I am having trouble with this. I running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit system. I cannot get the appear off line to work. I have tried to place it in the registry and it still will not give the option to appear. Please help me

39. on 18 Dec 2013 at 10:46 pmM.Pesky

Thanks! I had only 14.0 but followed Marius Robberts' suggestion and it worked!

40. on 28 Jan 2014 at 10:13 pmmasterhack

In my case, 15.0>Lync was not present. Created it manually and added DWORD EnableAppearOffline value 1 and it worked fine.

41. on 14 Mar 2014 at 11:50 pmcollege term

As an Administrator, you may not have any desire to make this change to a Client Policy as the objective of Lync is to advertise cooperation, not hinder it by having clients Appear Offline and avoid different clients. in the meantime, you may need to empower it for a client or two at appeal and won't have any desire to need to trouble giving this little aggregation of clients their Client Policy. Lync 2010 gave the capacity to do that by means of registry key.college term papers for sale

42. on 24 Jun 2014 at 3:54 amSujith

but do we have a registry command to have the lync status show always available even the pc is locked?????

43. on 25 Jul 2014 at 3:27 pmTraciC

I cannot see "appear off line" in my list of options after changing the registry key vale to 1. How can I get it to show up in my list of options? I exited out of Lync 2013 and it still does not show up.

44. on 18 Aug 2014 at 9:30 amMadhesh

Hi,

Is it possible to keep appear online?

If yes please let me know

45. on 29 Sep 2014 at 12:07 amkris

Thanks Ellan i psated in the command in cmd.exe it worked for me

46. on 10 Nov 2014 at 8:24 amRaoul

Reg Add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftOffice15.0Lync" /V "EnableAppearOffline" /D 1 /T REG_DWORD /F

The above worked for me from an elevated cmd prompt on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit with Lync 2013.

47. on 21 Dec 2014 at 8:19 amGuest

Works in Gemini as well :-) (also with the workaround though)

48. on 30 Dec 2014 at 2:41 amRose

Hello

Even I would like to have the offline status in Lync 2013. However I dont have the option 15.0 in my registry.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, expand Software, expand Policies, expand Microsoft, expand Office"

Under office there is an option "10.0" and on clicking that also there is no Lync option.
    Kindly assist

49. on 20 Jan 2015 at 5:33 amNIKITHA

Cannot Create a new DWORD 32-bit value.When i'm trying to create a new dialog box pop ups as :CANNOT CREATE A VALUE,ERROR TO THE REGISTRY.

50. on 03 Feb 2015 at 6:11 pmKarin

hi,
    I used this for Communicator 2010. Now i got updated to 2013, and the structure in the reg-editor is different from what you have: I have
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Communicator
    I dont have Office > 15 > Lync.

I created the EnableAppearOffline in the Communicator key, but that does not show up.
    Is it really safe to create Office > 15 > Lync when there is a Communicator key?
    Thx!

51. on 04 Feb 2015 at 9:37 amSrijan

Awesome, Thanks! This worked for me. Just remember to run cmd as adimstrator!

52. on 09 Mar 2015 at 5:48 amCosmin