Send on Behalf and Send As

Send on Behalf and Send As are similar in fashion. Send on Behalf will allow a user to send as another user while showing the recipient that it was sent from a specific user on behalf of another user. What this means, is that the recipient is cognitive of who actually initiated the sending message, regardless of who it was sent on behalf of. This may not be what you are looking to accomplish. In many cases, you may want to send as another person and you do not want the recipient to be cognitive about who initiated the message. Of course, a possible downside to this, is that if the recipient replies, it may go to a user who did not initiate the sent message and might be confused depending on the circumstances. Send As can be useful in a scenario where you are sending as a mail-enabled distribution group. If someone replies, it will go to that distribution group which ultimately gets sent to every user who is a part of that distribution group. This article will explains how to use both methods.

Send on Behalf

There are three ways to configure Send on Behalf. The first method is by using Outlook Delegates which allows a user to grant another user to Send on Behalf of their mailbox. The second method is having an Exchange Administrator go into the Exchange Management Shell (EMS) and grant a specific user to Send on Behalf of another user. The third and final method is using the Exchange Management Console (EMC).

Outlook Delegates

There are major steps in order to use Outlook Delegates. The first is to select the user and add him as a delegate. You then must share your mailbox to that user.

1. Go to Tools and choose Options
  2. Go to the Delegates Tab and click Add
  3. Select the user who wish to grant access to and click Add and then Ok

Note: There are more options you can choose from once you select OK after adding that user. Nothing in the next window is necessary to grant send on behalf.

1. When back at the main Outlook window, in the Folder List, choose your mailbox at the root level. This will appear as Mailbox – Full Name
  2. Right-click and choose Change Sharing Permissions
  3. Click the Add button
  4. Select the user who wish to grant access to and click Add and then Ok
  5. In the permissions section, you must grant the user at minimum, Non-editing Author.

Exchange Management Shell (EMS)

This is a fairly simple process to complete. It consists of running only the following command and you are finished. The command is as follows:

Set-Mailbox UserMailbox -GrantSendOnBehalfTo UserWhoSends

Exchange Management Console (EMC)

1. Go to Recipient Management and choose Mailbox
  2. Choose the mailbox and choose Properties in Action Pane
  3. Go to the Mail Flow Settings Tab and choose Delivery Options
  4. Click the Add button
  5. Select the user who wish to grant access to and click Add and then Ok

Send As

As of Exchange 2007 SP1, there are two ways to configure SendAs. The first method is having an Exchange Administrator go into the Exchange Management Shell (EMS) and grant a specific user to SendAs of another user. The second and final method (added in SP1) is using the Exchange Management Console (EMC).

Exchange Management Shell (EMS)

The first method is to grant a specific user the ability to SendAs as another user. It consists of running only the following command and you are finished. The command is as follows:

Add-ADPermission UserMailbox -ExtendedRights Send-As -user UserWhoSends

Exchange Management Console (EMC)

1. Go to Recipient Management and choose Mailbox
  2. Choose the mailbox and choose Manage Send As Permissions in Action Pane
  3. Select the user who wish to grant access to and click Add and then Ok

Miscellaneous Information

No “From:” Button

In order for a user to Send on Behalf or Send As another user, their Outlook profile must be configured to show a From: button. By default, Outlook does not show the From: button. In order to configure a user’s Outlook profile to show the From: button:

If you are sending as another user, the recipient user might reply. By default, Outlook is configured to set the reply address to whoever is configured as the sending address. So if I am user A sending on behalf of user B, the reply address will be set to user B. If you are the user initiating the sending message, you can configure your Outlook profile to manually configure the reply address.

Conflicting Methods

If you are configuring Send on Behalf permissions on the Exchange Server, ensure that the user is not trying to use the Outlook delegates at the same time. Recently, at a client, I was given the task to configure Send As as well as Send on Behalf. As I was configuring Send As on the server, I found out that the client was attempting to use Outlook Delegates at the same time. Send As would not work. Once the user removed the user from Outlook Delegates and removed permissions for that user at the root level of your mailbox that appears as Mailbox – Full Name, Send As began to work. So keep in mind, if you are configuring Send As or Send on Behalf, use only one method for a specific user.

SendAs Disappearing

If you are in a Protected Group, something in Active Directory called SDProp will come by every hour and remove SendAs permissions on users in these protected groups.  What security rights are configured on these security accounts are determined based on what security rights are assigned on the adminSDHolder object which exists in each domain.  The important part for you to remember is that every hour, inheritance on these protected groups will be removed and SendAs will be wiped away.

A good blog article explaining what adminSDHolder and SDprop are and what Protected Groups  is located here.

101 Responses to “Send on Behalf and Send As”

1. on 18 Jul 2011 at 4:48 pmSue

I have editor rights to my manager's calendar in Outlook 2007. I want to send invitations on behalf of him and then receive the replies, without the replies going to him. How do I do that?

2. on 12 Sep 2011 at 2:32 pmTodd S

I've followed the steps exaxly for setting Delegates access in Outlook 2010 and the users cannot Send on Behalf unless they select the name/email address from the Global Address Book. If you try sending on behalf by using the Auto Populate feature or selecting a name in the From field it will fail with a non-deliverable error message. Our organization is using Exchange Server 2007 SP3 and the Domain Controllers are Windows Server 2008 R2 (Server 2003 Forrest Functional Level). All of the affected users with the Send on Behalf problem are using Outlook 2010. Would upgrading Office to SP1 or migrating to Exchange Server 2010 SP1 resolve this issue?
    Perhaps on a related note; when adding a contact to Outlook from the Global Address Book, it will dissapear from Outlook Contacts after about 10-15 seconds after clciking Save & Close to add it to the Contacts. The work around I found was to click File, Save-As, and save the VCF to my documents then double click the VCF file to add it to Outlook Contacts that way it doesn't disappear. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Please Advise.

3. on 15 Sep 2011 at 5:50 amVasanth

I have delegated the access of my mailbox to my assitant. But while sending it shows sent from my name instead of showing "X send behalf of Y" in the Email header.

Is there any option to be enabled in 2010?

4. on 28 Nov 2011 at 12:09 amSharad Prajapati

Hi All,

We have two forest one is having infra of window server 2003 with Exchange 2003 and another is window server 2008 with exchange 2010. We have created the trust relation between both and we are able to give the permission on mailbox 2003 users for mailbox 2010 users while unable to give the permission on 2010 mailbox for exchange 2003 users.

Both the infra are different forest but we have created the forest trust relationship.

Kindly suggest on this issue.

5. on 29 Nov 2011 at 12:29 amElan Shudnow

Can you provide more information? What do you see when you try to do this? What is the error?

6. […] some info also here […]

7. on 08 Dec 2011 at 3:41 amElgee

Hi All,

I have a question, My Send as permission is working 100%. I have user A and user B.
    My question is when i send on behalf of user B it does not show up in the sent items of user B but is shows up in user A's sent items and it shows that it sent it on behalf as user B. So my question is is there a way to let it show in User B's sent items?

8. on 08 Dec 2011 at 9:48 amElan Shudnow

Check this out:

9. on 29 Dec 2011 at 10:59 pmLewis

Anyone got experience with Exchange 2010 on this?

10. on 23 Jan 2012 at 8:51 pmPeter Nield

Exchange 2010 with Service Pack 1, when granting “Send As” and “Send on Behalf”, my testing results in “Send As” taking precedence.

Test process with User B sending on-behalf of /as User A
    – In OWA, User B attempts to an e-mail with “User A” in the from field. Can’t send the message
    – Grant User B rights to “Send of behalf” of User A (used EMC). After a few minutes, able to send the message, message is received with “User B on behalf of User A” (no surprises there)
    – Grant User B rights to “Send As” User A. First e-mail received as “on behalf”, after a wait of about 10-20 minutes, the next e-mail is recevied from User A.

11. on 15 Feb 2012 at 3:36 amVincent Schrama

We are using outlook 2007. We have 1 shared mailbox. But somehow we can't find how to add delegates to this mailbox. When trying the normal way I become delegate for the administrator of the mailbox and not of the mailbox itself. Anyone has some advise or tips?

Thanks in advance
    Yours sincerely
    Vincent Schrama

12. on 28 Mar 2012 at 3:30 pmStumpt

I have two mailboxes in my Outlook 2010 profile. I am the mail admin. We are running exchange 2010 sp2 rollup 1. I have full rights to our quarantine mailbox and send as rights and owner rights as delegate. I used to be able to sort through the quarantine mailbox in 2007 exchange and forward the message to the intended user if the message was a false positive. Now, I can only forward it if it's from my account, not "From Quarantine". The error message is Undeliverable: You can't send a message on behalf of this user unless you have permission to do so. Please make sure you're sending on behalf of the correct sender, or request the necessary permission. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk. Dunno what I am doing wrong? Dunno where else I can give permissions. I had the same setup in Outlook/Exchange 2007. Any ideas? Thanks.

13. on 17 Apr 2012 at 8:09 amElan Shudnow

Check out the last part of my article where I've seen SendAs disappear as well as conflicting methods. Those are the only times I've seen it just flat out stop working.

14. on 03 Apr 2012 at 7:55 pmExchange 2010 Send As

[…] 369 Originally Posted by leew …send as… …Send as… "you do not have persmission to send on behalf…." …delegates… Send As and Send on Behalf are two different things. My suggestion is to read this article, particular the part towards the end about conflicting methods. Send on Behalf and Send As | Elan Shudnow's Blog […]

15. on 06 Jun 2012 at 2:16 pm@nektra

After fighting with this issue in a SMTP/POP3/IMAP configuration I decided to develop my own free add-in. More information in this blog post:

16. on 29 Jun 2012 at 1:08 pmMary Norman

I am a delegate for my boss' Outlook Calendar. I want to send a meeting notice on his behalf but just want responses to come to me for this particular notice. How can i do that?

17. on 08 Jul 2012 at 1:36 pmElan Shudnow

Hi Mary, I believe you can do this by creating a new meeting, then in the little arrow on the toolbar, add the ability to display Message Options on meeting windows. From there, you'll have a new Message Options Tab and can choose the reply address. This may or may not work. If you haven't found a way to do this, let me know. I can test it out and add another section to my blog if it successfully works.

18. on 02 Jul 2012 at 11:38 amgrotehansX

Warnung vor Geschäften mit Florian Grotehans, Am Baumgarten 12, 36251 Bad Hersfeld.

Sie werden Ihr Geld NICHT sehen!

Florian Grotehans hat bereits die folgenden Pleiten/Insolvenzen zu verantworten
    – T-C-H Service GmbH & Co KG, Aktenzeichen 12 IN 23/07 beim Antsgericht Bad Hersfeld,
    – HSG Communication GmbH, Aktenzeichen 74 IN 212/09

Weiters wurde die Gesellschaft
    – Florian Grotehans Vermögenverwaltungs GmbH
    wegen VERMÖGENSLOSIGKEIT aus dem Handelsregister zwangsweise entfernt!

W A R N U N G : Florian Grotehans macht weiter Geschäfte!!!

Ufuk Aktac
    Bad Hersfeld

19. on 31 Jul 2012 at 9:29 amAlison

I have been given permission to send on a person's behalf and I also have access to his contacts. How can I send emails to his contacts? I've tried to drag and drop, but this doesn't work. I've also tried to look for them in the address book, but all that's there are the Global Address List for my company and My Contacts, but his aren't available. I'd also like to send to his distribution lists. I'm in Outlook 2007.

20. on 08 Feb 2013 at 5:49 pmRandy

Wow, your instructions on “Send As” were very helpful! I wrote up instructions for my colleagues who share a team mailbox, based on your instructions, and they were thrilled.

One other thing I discovered is that while you have the Options tab open, you can also change the folder where the sent message will be saved. By default, even if you use an alternative e-mail for the “sent from” address, the actual sent message is still saved in your personal “Sent Items” folder. But the Options tab also has a “Save Sent Item” button that allows you to specify a *different* folder, such as the “Sent Items” folder in the mailbox you are sending from.

21. on 15 Apr 2013 at 4:50 amConfluence: IT

EX – Exchange Tipps & Tricks…

Einrichtung   Einstellungen einer Mailbox / Ress…

22. on 02 May 2013 at 3:01 pmWoodrow

I understand that those are the products designed

by manufacturers to make them money and if they are endorsed by winning popular professionals, sales will be high.

Aside from the obvious difficulties of pitching so

brilliantly in such a high pressure situation, Larsen’s feat is even more impressive when one considers that the Dodgers had four future Hall of Famers in their lineup: Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella and Pee Wee Reese. Preparing to apply to the dozens of other game development companies for video game jobs will enable you to expand and diversify your list of possible employers, and your chances of getting hired will increase tremendously.

23. on 03 May 2013 at 12:45

There is also a boom that can be moved up and out of
    the way when one wants to simply use the headphones.
    Recently many players encounter G27 problem in Shift 2: Unleashed.

Up to five profiles can be stored on the gameboard at once and macros can be created while actually
    gaming real time.

24. on 05 May 2013 at 2:12 pmWww.Antaru.Net

Where there was less effort wasted, so is less time wasted.
    The problem with social media is that for salespeople it
    can be used as an excuse not to pick up the telephone
    and actually make a call. In other words, try to add as a large number friends
    as you can.

25. on 05 May 2013 at 2:43 pmmedium-Format cameras

So how do you select the finest shop from all the retailers that offer this camera.
    1MP resolution and you can be sure of high quality photos with it.
    At present these consumer reports are extremely valuable.

26. on 07 May 2013 at 8:35 pmonline Radio

I have been in touch with many musicians, artists that I
    would have never heard before. We definitely like it’s simple, clean black styling, push-button central dial and nicely labeled front controls, and the way that stations have sounded as we. Given the manner in which the internet and the World Wide Web have invaded our lives over the past many years, it is hardly surprising that music or rather the radio would be one of the areas being dominated by the internet.

27. on 08 May 2013 at 11:28 pmasculta radio zu live

For any kind of luxury item of consumption, MAD (Money, Authority and Desire) is required.
    This means that everyone in the whole wide world can access
    this new kind of radio and you are assured that the programs as well
    as the list of radio stations you are listening to are all automatically
    updated. Another radio commercial production tip to chew on is to make sure
    the audio quality is excellent on any spot your produce.

28. on 12 May 2013 at 3:10 amplease click the up coming post

It iis based on computer with electrographic sensor technology.
    However, every character in the game (even supporting players)
    should be presented in this same detail. If you want to be
    able to hit the ball further and harder, you should keep in mind to keep your grip on the bat loose, your swing should
    begin with your legs and hips, and finally, you must always
    follow your bat through.

29. on 02 May 2015 at 2:56 pmmicrosoft outlook sign in online

Online archived mail boxes public folders, or mailboxes that are

common may disappear from the folder list in Outlook 2010.